Equality Statement and Policy
Equal Opportunities Policy
At Buxton School we pride ourselves on the diversity of people who make up our school community; and we value the varied contribution that everyone can make to our learning.
We believe that all children, regardless of race, sex or class, can have high aims and that the school's task is to help them all achieve their potential. In order to achieve this, we will ensure that all areas of the curriculum are suitably resourced in ways that reflect the range of cultures and that encourage children to respect each other's languages and background.
We will similarly encourage parents to share their children's experiences and to offer their own as an aid and encouragement to learning. We will confront and discuss racist and sexist language or conduct; and through the positive enforcement of our Behaviour Policy we will do our best to ensure that all individuals in the school, including visitors, feel safe and are treated with consideration when they are amongst us.
At Buxton School School, we are committed to ensuring equality of opportunity for all pupils, staff, parents and carers irrespective of race, gender, disability, belief, sexual orientation, age or socio-economic background. We aim to develop a culture of inclusion and diversity in which all groups connected to the school feel proud of their identity and ability to participate fully in school life.
We tackle discrimination through the positive promotion of equality, by challenging bullying and stereotypes and by creating an environment which champions respect for all.
At Buxton School, we believe that diversity is a strength which should be respected and celebrated by all those who learn, teach and visit us.
Equality in Teaching and learning
We provide all our pupils with the opportunity to succeed and to reach the highest level of personal achievement. We do this by:
- Ensuring equality of access for all pupils and preparing them for life in a diverse society
- Using materials that reflect the diversity of the school, population and local community without stereotyping
- Promoting attitudes and values that challenge any discriminatory behaviour or prejudice
- Providing opportunities for pupils to appreciate their own culture and celebrate the diversity of other cultures
- Seeking to involve all parents in supporting their child’s education
- Utilising teaching approaches appropriate for the whole school population which are inclusive and reflective of our pupils.
Equality in Admissions and Exclusions
Our admissions arrangements are fair and transparent and do not discriminate on the grounds of race, gender, religion, belief, disability and/or socio-economic background.
Equal Opportunities for Staff
All staff appointments and promotions are made on the basis of merit and ability and in compliance with the law. We are keen to ensure that the staffing of the school reflects the diversity of our community.
The school has a full and separate Equalities Policy. Please consult this for further details if you wish.
Equality Objectives 2022-2026
- To promote diversity within the curriculum and resources with specific reference to SEND, race, religion, different family models and gender and reduce any homophobia, sexism and racism by children in school.
- To promote and practise growth mindset and resilience. There will be no public labelling of children by attainment.
- Recognise,respect and celebrate differences.
- Foster positive attitudes and relationships and a shared sense of cohesion and belonging in our diverse community.
Observe good equalities practice in staff recruitment, retention and development.